Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mattie training

Mattie gets a collar and a vest to let her know that we're going to play/work. Then she goes into a "Sit-Stay" until I'm ready. I think it builds a little anticipation and it also settles her down to think about what she is going to do. It's probably just anthropomorphism (giving animals human characteristics) on my part.


There are 5 of the PVC pipes, all identical except one has cadaver scent in it. She checks out all five pipes.


When she identifies the correct pipe, she lays down beside it. We're working on her coming back to get me and then take me to the scent source and show me where it is. Right now I'm happy she will actually sit by it when I'm not at her side. She appears to be pretty quiet here but she knows a treat is on the way.


|
We are done and the collar & vest are removed. She thought she would be a smart ass and indicate the correct pipe by sitting by it even without her vest. That's a good thing and I made sure I brought a treat when I came to pick up the scent source.

|


|
Here is Mattie at a training class where she is intrigued by the diver's scent bubbling to the surface. The photo was taken on April 27, 2008. When the divers came up to praise her and bring a treat she was so enthralled by it all that she didn't take her treat right away.
|

|

|

1 comment:

Eric J. Burton said...

That wasn't by chance your blood hound in the Newspaper was it?